Scanning QR codes on an Android or iPhone is quite easy these days. Simply point the phone camera toward the QR code for it to detect it. But how should you scan a QR code that is part of an image or screenshot in your phone’s gallery? This tutorial will provide the answers. Don’t worry, as you don’t need to use another phone to scan the QR code on your mobile. Let’s check how to scan a QR code from an image on Android and iPhone.
Want to share music on Spotify? Learn how to create and scan a dedicated Spotify song code.
- Scan a QR Code From an Image Using Live Text (iOS)
- Scan a QR Code From an Image With Google Lens (Android and iOS)
- Scan the QR Code From an Image Using Siri Shortcuts (iOS)
- Scan the QR Code From an Image on Samsung Phone
- Scan a QR Code in an Image With Third-Party Apps
- Frequently Asked Questions
Scan a QR Code From an Image Using Live Text (iOS)
If your iPhone supports the Live Text feature (iOS 15+), you can use it to scan QR codes from pictures or screenshots saved on the iPhone by following these steps:
- Launch the Apple Photos app on your iPhone.
- Open the picture with the QR code.
- Tap on the “Live text icon” at the bottom-right corner of the image.
- Tap on the QR code in the picture.
- The Live Text feature will scan the QR code and show the result. You will get multiple options to use the result. For instance, you can open the link in a browser, add to the reading list, copy the link, or share it with others.
Scan a QR Code From an Image With Google Lens (Android and iOS)
Google Lens is a great utility for identifying information in images. It’s used to copy and translate text from images, find similar images, identify things like animals and plants, scan QR codes, and more.
Fortunately, Google Lens offers a native feature to use QR codes from images in the gallery or camera roll on both Android and iOS. It comes preinstalled in different forms on almost all Android devices, such as a standalone app, widget, or baked into the Gallery or Camera app.
Let’s check out the different ways to use Google Lens to scan QR codes from images on Android and iPhone.
Tip: Check out the best image search engines to find the images you want. Spoiler: Google is not on the list.
1. Using the Google App (Android and iOS)
The Google app provides one of the easiest ways to use the Google Lens feature to scan a QR code from a picture on your mobile. Follow these steps:
- Install the Google app on your iPhone. You don’t need to download it on Android, as it’s already preinstalled.
- Open the Google app and tap on the “Lens” icon in the search bar.
- The Google Lens screen will appear showing the images on your phone. if you don’t see the images, tap on the Gallery icon in the bottom-left corner, then tap on the image containing the QR code. Wait for Google Lens to scan the QR code and show the information.
2. Using the Google App Search Widget
Google Lens is also available in the Google app search bar widget on Android and iOS phones. To use it, you must first add the widget on the home screen as shown below.
Add the Google Search Widget on Android
- Touch and hold an empty space on your Android phone’s home screen. Tap on “Add widgets.”
- Go to the Google widgets. Touch and hold the “Search” widget and drag it to the home screen. The Google search bar widget will appear on the home screen. You can skip the first two steps if the Google search bar widget is already on the home screen.
- Tap on the “Google Lens” icon in the search bar to open Google Lens. The images in your gallery will show up. Tap on the image containing the QR code.
- Google Lens will scan and detect the information in the QR code.
- If Google Lens doesn’t read the QR code properly, make sure the “Search” tab is selected at the bottom.
- Also, if you don’t see the images in the Gallery in step #3, tap on “Search with your camera” instead, and hit the Gallery icon at the bottom. Select the image with the QR code.
Add the Google Search Widget on iOS
On iOS 14 and later, you can add widgets to the iPhone’s home screen. The Google app widget provides a Lens button that can be used to scan images on yoru iPhone that have a QR code.
- Touch and hold an empty area on your iPhone home screen until the icons start jiggling.
- Tap on the “+” (Add) icon at the top.
- Scroll down and look for Google. Tap on it to see the available widgets.
- Swipe left and tap on “Add widget” under the widget showing the Lens button. The widget will be added to the home screen. Tap anywhere on the screen to stop the icons from shaking.
- Press the Lens button in the Google widget to open Google Lens. Select the image with the QR code.
- Alternatively, press the “Search with your camera” button and tap on the Gallery icon at the bottom-left corner.
Had enough of cookie consent windows popping up every time you visit a website? Learn how to block them.
Google Lens also appears as a shortcut in the Share Sheet on an iPhone, provided you have the Google app installed on your iPhone. You can use that to scan QR codes from images as shown below.
- Open the photo in any app on your iPhone and hit the “Share” icon.
- Scroll down and tap on “Search with Google Lens.”
- Press the “View results” button.
- Google Lens will show the results of the scanned QR code in the image.
4. Via Google Photos (Android and iOS)
Google Lens is also part of the Google Photos app for both Android and iPhone. It is preinstalled on most Android phones.
Follow these steps to use Google Photos on Android and iOS to scan QR codes from images.
- Download the Google Photos app to Android or iOS, if it isn’t already on the device.
- The Google Photos app shows your pictures and videos taken with the Camera on the main screen. Tap on the “Library” option at the bottom to view other albums on your phone, like screenshots, downloads, etc.
- Open the image with the QR code and hit the Lens button at the bottom. The QR code will be read and will show the appropriate information.
Want to keep some images private on your phone? Learn how to use Google Photos’ Lock Folder.
5. From Your Phone’s Gallery App (Android)
Some phones like OnePlus include the Google Lens feature in their Gallery app.
- Open the photo with the QR code in the native Gallery app.
- Tap on the Google Lens icon to scan the code.
- The results should appear immediately.
6. With the Google Lens App (Android)
If you can’t access Google Lens using the methods mentioned above, you can use it to scan QR codes from pictures already saved by installing its dedicated app.
- Download Google Lens from Play Store, if it isn’t preinstalled, then open the Google Lens app on your phone.
- Select the photo containing the QR code.
- Wait for the Lens to read the code and show the results.
Scan the QR Code From an Image Using Siri Shortcuts (iOS)
You can scan QR codes from screenshots or other images using a QR reader shortcut in the Share Sheet on your iPhone.
- Install the QR Reader from Images shortcut on your iPhone. Tap on the link, and the shortcut screen will appear.
- Tap on the “Add Shortcut” button, then open the Shortcuts app to find the QR Reader from the images shortcut.
- Touch and hold the QR Reader from the images shortcut and select the “Details” option in the menu. Make sure “Show in Share Sheet” is enabled.
- Open the image containing the QR code and hit the “Share” button.
- Scroll down the Share Sheet and tap on “QR Reader from Images.”
- If asked to grant permission to access the photo, tap on “Allow.” The QR reader shortcut will scan the QR code and show the result at the top.
Tip: if this method doesn’t work, copy the photo and run the shortcut manually.
Scan the QR Code From an Image on Samsung Phone
There are three ways to scan QR codes from images on Samsung, in addition to the Google Lens methods mentioned above.
1. QR Code Quick Tile
Samsung offers a quick tile that lets you scan new QR codes as well as those present in screenshots and images on your phone.
- Open the Quick Tile panel on your Samsung Galaxy phone by swiping down twice from the top edge.
- Swipe left on the available tiles. If you see the “Scan QR code” tile, jump to step #4, otherwise, scroll to the last page of tiles and press the “+” (Add) button.
- Touch and hold “Scan QR code” in the top panel and drag it to the bottom panel to add it to the Quick Tiles. Hit the “Done” button.
- Whenever you want to scan a QR code in an image, open the Quick Tiles panel and tap on the “Scan QR code” tile.
- Tap on the Gallery icon on the next screen and select the image to scan.
If you have a Samsung phone, you may want to get the Samsung DeX app and create an Android desktop environment on an external display.
2. Samsung Internet
If you like browsing with Samsung Internet, know that you can use it to scan QR codes from images too. But first, you will need to add the QR code scanner to Samsung Internet.
- Open the Samsung Internet app on your phone.
- Tap on the three-bar icon. If you see the QR code scanner tile, jump to step #5; otherwise, select “Settings.”
- Go to “Layout and menu” followed by “Customize menu.”
- Drag and drop the QR code scanner from the top to the bottom panel.
Tip: if you don’t see a QR code scanner under “Layout and menu,” go to “Useful Features” in the browser’s Settings and enable “QR Code scanner.”
- Go back to the main screen of Samsung Internet and tap on the three-bar icon. Tap on the QR code scanner button.
- Tap on the Gallery icon at the bottom of the scanner screen. Load the image with the QR code.
3. Bixby Vision
On Samsung devices running One UI 3 and earlier, you can use Bixby Vision in the Gallery app to scan QR codes from images. This feature has been removed in One UI 4 and above.
- Launch the Samsung Gallery app and open the photo containing a QR code.
- Tap on the eye icon at the top to scan the QR code from the image.
Scan a QR Code in an Image With Third-Party Apps
In addition to the above-mentioned methods, you can use third-party online tools and apps to scan QR codes from the images on your phone.
- QR & Barcode Scanner (Android)
- QR & Barcode Reader (Android)
- QR Code Reader & QR Scanner (iOS)
- QR Reader for iPhone (iOS)
- webqr.com (Online)
- qrcodescan.in (Online)
Did something go wrong with your iPhone or iPad? Learn how to hard reset these iOS devices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you scan a QR code on a PC?
Yes, you can scan existing pictures or a new picture containing the QR code on a PC. Check out four ways to scan QR codes on a computer.
Can you use Google Lens to do reverse image search?
Yes, you can use Google Lens to find similar images on both Android and iPhone. Learn other ways to do reverse image search on Android and iOS.
How can I create a QR code quickly?
You can create a QR code for any website using the Chrome browser on a PC, Android, or iPhone. Open the website in Chrome on your mobile. Tap on the three-dot icon and select “Share” from the menu. Choose “QR code” to create the QR code for the website.
All screenshots by Mehvish Mushtaq.
Mehvish is a tech lover from Kashmir. With a degree in computer engineering, she's always been happy to help anyone who finds technology challenging. She's been writing about technology for over six years, and her favorite topics include how-to guides, explainers, tips and tricks for Android, iOS/iPadOS, Windows, social media, and web apps.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox
Open your Gallery app and click on the QR code image. Click the share icon and select the “Google Search image” option. This will automatically read the QR code with Google lens and display the generated link.
Open your Gallery app and click on the QR code image. Click the share icon and select the “Google Search image” option. This will automatically read the QR code with Google lens and display the generated link.
Open the Google app from your app menu. Click on the camera icon, which is located on the right-hand side of the search bar. On iPhone, there will be a Google Lens icon instead. Scroll down and select the image containing the QR code you want to scan, or just point your camera to the QR code.How can I improve my QR code scanner? ›
Choose a simple and eye-pleasing color for your QR code. Familiar shades of blue, green, red, and classic black and white colors are the best options. It's also important to choose the optimal contrast of shades so that your code has clear boundaries and thus efficient scanning is ensured.Can you scan a QR code from a screenshot? ›
You can use the Google Lens app to scan QR codes in a screenshot. Google Lens is an app by the internet giant that lets you point at objects and identify the information contained therein.How do I scan a QR code with an image without an app? ›
Can you scan a QR code without an app? Yes, you can scan a QR code without an app online. To do so you need to use a web app such as ScanQR.org. That allows you to instantly scan any code from an image or even a webcam.Can you take a picture of a QR code and will it work? ›
Yes you can. Please make sure the QR code is clear so our partner can scan it. We can't be held responsible if an unclear picture or screenshot prevents you from redeeming the code.What app can scan QR from image? ›
- Open the Google Lens application and select the image icon in the top right corner.
- Open the image that you want to scan the QR code from.
- Tap the QR code, and it will take you to the stored URL.
Use Google Lens
Open your Camera app and tap More > Google Lens. Now you'll have a Lens icon you can use whenever you open your camera, and it can scan QR codes. You can also use Google Assistant to activate Google Lens. Say “OK Google,” then tap Google Lens at the bottom right.
standard software: NFC does not require the installation of a reader app; more contents: an NFC Tag can contain more information than a QR code; they are better in cases that require more data to be stored, such as providing video content or product discounts.
To be sure that your QR Codes are readable, do not print them in less than 3cm square (1.2 inches). You can still choose smaller print sizes for your QR Codes, but you need to be very careful.What makes a QR code unscannable? ›
The only way a static QR code becomes unscannable is if something physically disrupts the pattern and alignment of the code itself. Information in a static QR code is hard-coded into the QR code's matrix of black and white squares.Can a barcode be scanned from a phone? ›
Q: Can a smartphone read any barcode? "In theory, any device with a camera can read a barcode—either 1D or 2D types," Witney says. He explains that scanning technology has moved from Laser 1D scanning to CCD (Charged Coupled Device) 1D Scanning and now to image-based scanning.Can I use an image instead of a QR code? ›
To turn image into a QR code, you can use an image QR code generator to convert your image into a QR code. An image QR code is a dynamic QR code solution that converts image to QR codes. The image format that image QR codes can store is PNG and JPEG.Can I read a QR code without a camera? ›
Read a QR Code Using the Web
Visit the Web QR site. If you're using a desktop browser you'll see a message about the site wanting to access your camera – just click the X to close that box. If you're using a mobile device you'll probably see a message similar to the one below – just click the Cancel or No button.
Using Third-party applications
Aside from using Google Lens and Google Photos to read a QR code without scanning them, you can also use some of these third-party applications that can read a QR code from an image.
You can print a QR Code or barcode if you save the file containing the URL or the like in the OBC format to a USB memory, then connect the USB memory to this machine and finally print the file.How do I activate a QR code from a screenshot? ›
Tap on the “Google Lens” icon in the search bar to open Google Lens. The images in your gallery will show up. Tap on the image containing the QR code.Will a screenshot of a QR code work for Ticketmaster? ›
Can I use a screenshot of my mobile ticket to enter? Your barcode includes technology to protect it, so you won't be able to use screenshots or print outs.Can a QR code be entered manually? ›
If your phone can't scan the QR code, you can manually type in the key or serial number.
Head to qr-code-generator.com. Enter your URL. Customize your QR code's frame, shape, and color. Click 'Download' and save the file to your computer.How do I scan a QR code and get it into a file? ›
- Right-click on the code. The drop-down menu will open.
- Select “Read QR code from the image.”
- The extension will read the code and provide you with two options: If the code offers you a link, a new tab will open. ...
- Select “OK” to copy the data to the clipboard.
QR Code Alternatives in 2021
These newer technologies include: NFC technology: Near-field communication (NFC) is the technology used in Google Pay and Apple Wallet. NFC tech is built into modern smartphones, and users simply need to tap their phone to the trigger to make a payment.
Quick Response (QR) Technology is an advanced innovation that became a readily available solution. It's a type of barcode that can be read by a digital device and store information in the form of a series of packed pixels.What is NFC code? ›
Near Field Communication (NFC) is a radio-frequency technology that allows the transmission of data between an NFC tag and NFC-enabled device. NFC tags can basically do what QR codes are being used for and more because they use embedded chips.Why do people not use QR codes? ›
Many Stores Lack Wi-Fi or Other Enabling Technologies
For one thing, many stores do not have Wi-Fi, so consumers who want to scan codes must do so using their data plans. They may conclude this is too slow and costly to be practical.
No, QR codes do not have an expiration date. The QR code has a Quick Link behind it.How long does a QR code last? ›
But how long do QR codes last? The good news is that static QR codes provide an unlimited scan and never expire.What are the two types of QR codes? ›
QR codes can be broadly classified into 2 types – Static and Dynamic QR codes.What is the best format for a QR code? ›
Which is the best QR Code file format to use? We highly recommend downloading your QR Codes in PNG as it is better in preserving the best image quality.
A hidden QR code or a camouflaged QR code on an image makes it difficult for users to spot them at first glance, giving it an illusion of being hidden. Placing it like it's a hidden QR code on print materials or digital templates is an innovative way to engage with audiences and keep them on their toes.Why are no two QR codes the same? ›
Even if two QR Codes store identical data, the pattern might or might not be different depending on the QR Code generator used. The primary reason for the change is due to the internal expression of the QR Code (numeric code, alphanumeric code, and so on). If this expression varies, then the data pattern also varies.Does the shape of a QR code matter? ›
You can use a variety of shapes but the key is subtlety. You don't want the edges to completely reshape your QR Code. Keep in mind that extreme deviation from a QR Code's overall shape will make it unrecognizable and unscannable which ultimately results in fewer scans.How do I scan a picture from my camera roll? ›
Download the free app for Android(Opens in a new window) or iOS(Opens in a new window) and open the app. Line up the photo you want to scan and press the shutter button. The app then displays a white circle in each of the four corners of the photo.
What is a QR code for an image? A QR code image is a QR code that displays pictures or photos to your target audience's smartphone screen once scanned. By scanning this code using smartphone devices, users can easily access the QR code picture and even save it on their phones.How do I convert physical photos to digital? ›
Using a flatbed scanner to digitize photos is the best option for people who have physical photos that may not be in the best condition, such as photos that have come out of photo albums. It is also a good choice for people who want to scan a lot of pictures at once.How do you digitize a picture? ›
- Your built-in camera app is a great place to start.
- Photoshop Express.
- Notes on iPhone.
- Google PhotoScan on Android & iOS.
- Microsoft Office Lens.
- Photo Scanner.
Google PhotoScan is a free app available for both Android and iPhone.How do you scan a QR code with Wi fi? ›
- Go to the WiFi settings of your phone and turn it on.
- Now, ask for the QR code and tap on the QR code icon next to Add Network option. It will open the scanner.
- Once scanned, it will ask if you wish to connect to the WiFi network.
On your compatible Android phone or tablet, open the built-in camera app. Point the camera at the QR code. Tap the banner that appears on your Android phone or tablet. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish signing in.